I hear people talking and thinking about the garden they are planning this year. Yes, it's almost the end of January and here in the northwest we are dreaming about spring and planting gardens.
There are some things that you can do if this is part of your plan for 2017. As you're thumbing through gardening journals and ordering from the seed catalogues you can also:
1. start tomato and vegetable seeds in peat pots.
2. Grow salad greens and herbs indoors with seed starting trays.
3. If you can get outside, you can apply pre-emergent to prevent weeds in your lawns.
As it gets closer to March you can:
1. Build raised garden bed.
2. Cultivate vegetable gardens.
3. Plan spring flowering shrubs like azaleas.
4. Apply lawn fertilizer and repair and seed bare patches.
This will keep me busy and thinking about the growing season again. What about you? Do you have garden plans for spring?