Tuesday, March 28, 2017

A Plan to Declutter


Does a plan to declutter sound like it should be on your list? Does is sound overwhelming or do you have this under control at your house?

I think most of us have moments when decluttering is at the top of the list. We also have moments when it seems like it's such a big job that we don't even want to start or think about it so we do something else.

So let's start with a plan. Paper is one of the most annoying clutter problems in homes.  If you've like me, I don't always have the time or energy to deal with the paper. Newspaper, books, kids school work, mail, notices from work and more all take up space on my desk.

My plan to begin with was to set the timer for just 15 minutes. In this period of time I sorted papers into four piles. To Do. To File. To Recycle. To Shred. The biggest hurdle in this challenge is no reading allowed. Just sort! Did it work?

I have to report this was a successful challenge where I was able to succeed. I had four piles, two of which I was able to immediately dispose of. Gone were the shred and recycle piles and I was left with just two small piles of things to do and things to file. There was immediate relief as I reclaimed my desk and some peace of mind.

Now it's time for a happy dance.


No comments: